Tesco puts 1,600 jobs at risk as it shifts roles overnight
We start the day with a jaw-dropping report from Rio Tinto on its work culture, which revealed sexual assault, harassment, racism and “systemic” bullying.
The British-Australian miner has revealed that 21 women have experienced or attempted rape or sexual assault at its mines in the past five years.
More than a quarter of women have experienced sexual harassment at work, while nearly half of all employees have experienced bullying. Meanwhile, racism proved to be widespread in its operations in Australia and South Africa.
The eight-month study, led by former Australian sex discrimination commissioner Elizabeth Broderick, surveyed more than 10,000 employees.
5 things to start your day
1) Women hold just 30% of UK board seats, trailing France and Italy Progress slow as UK ranks 9th in the world for gender diversity, says Deloitte
2) Nicola Sturgeon’s transport officials don’t want to come to the office Transport Scotland officials are demanding to work from home up to four days a week
3) French demands for ‘wet’ signatures cause lengthy delays at Dover Businesses have faced delays as most documents are produced digitally
4) Tesco unplugs challenger Aldi – and more deli counters The supermarket is scrapping its budget food chain Jack’s, which had just 13 stores and lacked economies of scale, analysts say
5) Top investor backs Vodafone boss after activist investor lands Abrn says management has shareholder support after Cevian Capital revelation
What happened overnight
Asian markets rose in limited trade on Tuesday after another strong lead from Wall Street fueled by a rebound in tech companies, while comments from Federal Reserve officials eased fears it was embarking on an aggressive phase of political tightening.
The Nikkei 225 rose 0.3pc to 27,078.48, while the Hang Seng and the Shanghai Composite were both closed for a holiday.
- Business : Virgin Money UK, SA Barr, Joules (Business Update)
- Economy: Manufacturing PMI (UK, USA)unemployment rate (EU)ECB bank credit survey (EU)